Perugia Press Prize
for a First or Second Book by a Woman
Prize: $1000 and publication
- Poet must have no more than one previously published book. Chapbooks and books in other genres do not count.
- Translations and previously self-published books are not eligible.
- If you have hired Perugia Press editor Susan Kan for a personal manuscript review of any of your work, you are not eligible to enter.
- Individual poems may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, and chapbooks of fewer than 48 pages, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Notify Perugia Press if accepted elsewhere.
- Manuscripts are generally between 45 and 80 pages. Please submit manuscripts that fall within or close to this page count. Use 8.5 x 11-inch white paper with legible typeface, pagination, contents, and no more than one poem per page.
- A non-refundable entry fee of $26 must accompany each submission. You may submit more than one manuscript; each is considered separately and must include a separate entry fee.
- Manuscripts must be submitted between August 1 and November 15 (postmark). Winner is announced by April 1.
- All manuscripts will be recycled or deleted at the conclusion of the competition. Please do not send your only copy.
- To be certain that manuscripts receive the fairest consideration, all manuscripts are submitted to the judging panel anonymously. Take care to follow instructions so that we can remove your name.
- All readers are trusted and respected by Perugia Press.
- We adhere to the CLMP Ethics Statement. See below.
Submitting to us online is easy, saves you money in postage, and saves trees.
- Remove identifying material (name, address, email, bio, etc.) from your manuscript and save as a single electronic file in .pdf format (e.g. poems.pdf). Other accepted formats are .rtf (rich text format), or .doc or .docx (MSWord).
- Read and follow all application instructions on the online submissions page.
- Use the submission form to upload your manuscript file.
- Make your payment of $26 using your credit card at our secure site.
- Attach two cover pages: one with title of manuscript, name, address, telephone number, and email address, and one with title of manuscript only.
- Remove your name from any other manuscript pages.
- Cover letter and bio not required. Publications acknowledgments may be included.
- Include a $26 check or money order made out to Perugia Press.
- Fasten the pages with a removable clip.
- Send manuscript and fee via USPS (not FedEx or UPS) to:
Perugia Press Prize
PO Box 60364
Florence, MA 01062
We endorse and agree to comply with the following statement released by the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses:
CLMP’s community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to:
- conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors;
- provide clear and specific contest guidelines - defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and
- make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public.
This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.