Perugia Press Prize
for a First or Second Book by a Woman
Prize: $1000 and publication
- Poet must have no more than one previously published book. Chapbooks and books in other genres do not count.
- Translations and previously self-published books are not eligible.
- Individual poems may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, and chapbooks of fewer than 45 pages, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Notify Perugia Press if accepted elsewhere.
- Manuscripts are generally between 45 and 85 pages. Please submit manuscripts that fall within or close to this page count. Use legible typeface, and include page numbers on each page and in the table of contents. No more than one poem per page.
- A non-refundable entry fee of $27 must accompany each submission. You may submit more than one manuscript; each is considered separately and must include a separate entry fee.
- Manuscripts must be submitted between August 1 and November 15. Winner is announced by April 1.
- All manuscripts will be deleted or recycled at the conclusion of the competition.
- To be certain that manuscripts receive the fairest consideration, all manuscripts are submitted to the judging panel anonymously. Take care to follow instructions so that we can remove your name.
- All readers are trusted and respected by Perugia Press.
- We adhere to the CLMP Ethics Statement. See below.
Submitting to us online is easy, saves you money in paper and postage, and saves trees.
- Remove identifying material (name, address, email, bio, publications acknowledgements, etc.) from your manuscript and save as a single electronic file in .pdf format (e.g. poems.pdf). Other accepted formats are .rtf (rich text format), or .doc or .docx (MSWord).
- Cover letter and bio may be added in the Notes section, but are not required. Publications acknowledgments may be included in Notes also, but should be excluded from the manuscript itself.
- Read and follow all application instructions on the online submissions page.
- Use the submission form to upload your manuscript file.
- Make your payment of $27 using your credit card at our secure site.
- Use 8.5 x 11-inch white paper, single sided.
- Attach two cover pages: one with title of manuscript, name, address, telephone number, and email address, and one with title of manuscript only.
- Remove your name from any other manuscript pages.
- Cover letter and bio not required. Publications acknowledgments may be included in cover letter, but should be excluded from the manuscript itself.
- Include a $27 check or money order made out to Perugia Press.
- Fasten the pages with a removable clip.
- Manuscripts will be recycled at the end of the contest, so do not send your only copy.
- Send manuscript and fee via USPS (not FedEx or UPS) to:
Perugia Press Prize
PO Box 60364
Florence, MA 01062
CLMP’s community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to:
- conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors;
- provide clear and specific contest guidelines – defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and
- make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public.
This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.